Volunteers Needed for SEAC

Do you want to help students with physical disabilities in your community?

Volunteers are needed to represent Easter Seals Ontario on school board Special Education Advisory Committees (SEAC). Every school board in Ontario must have a SEAC, and SEAC members provide advice to the trustees about special education programs, services and the annual special education budget.

Currently, Easter Seals is looking for volunteers, as SEAC members or alternate members, for many school boards in the province, including Halton Region, Waterloo, Windsor and Upper Grand (Dufferin-Wellington) York Region.  The role of an alternate member is an ideal way to find out more about SEAC and partner with another volunteer to learn about how SEAC operates.

Each SEAC meets ten times a year, usually monthly from September to June. SEAC members have the opportunity to learn about the special education programs and services provided by the school board and provide advice as plans are reviewed and when changes are being considered. To learn more about SEAC, read the article, Have you ever heard of SEAC?, and watch the videos about SEAC roles and responsibilities.

This may be an excellent position for you if you are interested in a having a voice in discussions about the special education programs and services provided by your local school board. This position would also be great for someone who has been involved in school councils or community committees. Working on SEAC will provide you with insight into how decisions are made about special education and will help you to become an active advocate for students with physical disabilities.

As a representative for Easter Seals, you will be provided with training and orientation on the role of SEAC. The Provincial Coordinator also offers individual support, regular updates and teleconferences. For more information on the Easter Seals SEAC Program, check out What is a SEAC? 

You can also visit PAAC on the SEAC website for three short videos about SEAC membership and roles. These information videos take a light-hearted look at SEAC and provide valuable information.

To be eligible to be a SEAC member or an alternative, you must be a Canadian citizen, over the age of 18, a resident within the school board jurisdiction and an elector for the local school board, and not an employee of the school board. If you enjoy committee work and are interested in helping students and youth with physical disabilities, please contact Alison Morse at amorse@easterseals.org or by phone at 1.800.668.6252 ext. 335 or 416.510.5070.